16-35 f/2.8 III vs Sigma 14-24 f/2.8 ART?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
flatpicknut
flatpicknut Contributing Member • Posts: 665
16-35 f/2.8 III vs Sigma 14-24 f/2.8 ART?

Anybody here have experience with both lenses on full frame (5DIV and 5DIII)?

My Samyang 14mm 2.8 was a bargain and I've used it a lot for landscapes and sunsets and even some Milky Way shots, but some decentering has reduced its effectiveness and repair isn't cost effective. I could just buy another, but I'm thing about selling one of my older 5DIII bodies and buying a better wide angle lens. I really want to stick with a zoom and am considering either the Canon or Sigma options. One problem is that selling a 5DIII drops me out of qualification for the CPS Platinum membership and I really prize that - overnight shipping both ways more than pays for it, much less the faster turn-around and greater discount on repairs.

The 16-35 f/2.8 III is worth 12 CPS points, so I could even sell a 5DIII and my 6D and still meet my CPS Platinum requirements.

Obviously 2mm on the wide end is huge, but the 35mm on the long end could be handy for events, weddings, and even some portraiture (with a 70-200 or 100-400II on another body on the other hip).

Any other factors to consider?

-- hide signature --

Doug Brock

flatpicknut's gear list:flatpicknut's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +9 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow