Two challenging photos of terns

Started 5 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Morris0
Morris0 Senior Member • Posts: 5,160
Two challenging photos of terns

These were taken within 30 minutes of each other at the Marine Nature Study Area in Oceanside, NY.

-1 Forster's Tern Diving

-2 Common Tern Emerging with Fish

Capturing the diving tern is incredibly tricky as then change directions and accelerate very quickly. My issue has been acquiring the tern when it dove before it enters the water. Capturing the tern coming out of the water presents a different challenge as one dose not know how far they will dive varying the amount of time under water. They also come out different distances from the place they went in. This is one of the times I chose to burst because of all the unknowns and even then the combination of my missing and the tern coming up without a fish resulted in many wasted frames. I want to do this again and capture the same action with a better light angle.

Comments and suggestions welcome,

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow