Is this the slow death of travel/portrait/model photography?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hoakin1981 Regular Member • Posts: 395
Is this the slow death of travel/portrait/model photography?

Recently a friend showed me his IG account and by spending perhaps 10 minutes browsing through the general feed i have to admit i was shocked.

The recipe seems to be so simple and yet so effective that it is almost ridiculous.

Take one beautiful young woman, make sure she wears (in most cases) not too many clothes (the less the better), put her in a nice scenic/interesting/exotic location, have her take a fake spontaneous/sensual pose, take the shot, do some basic PP and voila!

Eventually, if you don't do anything stupid and you stick to the above recipe you will have tens of thousands of "followers" and at some point with some luck you will be traveling most probably full time for free just by adding a few specific "hashtags" on every post you make.

Is the above incorrect? Am i oversimplifying things? Perhaps, but i think that is the basic idea behind the thousands of such accounts on Instagram.

Is this just an envy-caused rant? yes and no, because even though i admit i would love to spend my life traveling to exotic locations that normally i would never be able to afford, i value other things in life more, like having good health both me and the people i love regardless of how cliche that sounds.

So why am i saying all this? Because for some reason i personally find it very aggravating.

And to make the subject more dpreview oriented, what gets me the most is how much almost all such photos look the same! The model changes but i could swear the same photographer is behind the camera/phone/action camera or whatever.

I still believe that if social media in general are to be blamed for the demise of true human relationships/connections then such platforms are slowly killing the art of travel and/or model photography.

Thank you for taking the time to read...my rant.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow