SLR magic Variable ND II loose when turning in certain positions, is it normal?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Robodelfy Regular Member • Posts: 202
SLR magic Variable ND II loose when turning in certain positions, is it normal?

Hi

I've been using the SLR magic Variable ND filter 62mm for a year or so. I started noticing a strange feeling when turning it sometimes as if it was loose at certain points and then tighter and smoother at others. I was always filming and just ignored it.

I've just sat down finally to investigate. So if I hold the front of the filter up to the sky and turn it, it's fairly smooth and tighter. When I turn it upside down so the front of the filter is facing the ground, it doesnt turn smoothly at all. And if I have it at a variety of other angles, its a mixture and goes loose a bit and then tighter, which is was I was experiencing.

So it seems its just the way the two bits of metal interact, and it needs some downwards force from one part of the ring to the other to make it smooth. But it does feel very odd like its broken at certain times.

Can anyone else confirm this is normal if they own the same filter? Could you take it off, tighten up the adjustable ring fully and then experiment with turning the ND filter when its upside down or upright

thanks

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow