RX100 mk6 - first impressions

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
janist74 Regular Member • Posts: 252
RX100 mk6 - first impressions

On the weekend I did my first shooting with my new "point-and-shoot". I own the mk2 since 5 years, but I wanted something faster (especially C-AF) with longer reach.

Handling:
- similar to mk2, but the camera is far more responsive (button reaction time, switch on time,...)
- EVF is a great addition, and the A9 like menü system (and options) is great
- focus selection with the touch screen works ok, but sometimes i can not see what I have done

IQ:
- I can not open the mk6 raw file in LR yet, but I guess there will be no difference in comparison with mk5.
- The out-of-camera JPG look good, even at equiv.200mm the photos seem sharp

AF
- wow! and again wow! Many complain about the price of the mk6, but this little gem outperforms all m43 cameras. (I own m43 gear)
- after my first trials, I would not say that the C-AF is on A9 level, but for sure very good
- the camera has no problem following a subject from far distance to close distance with a very high hit-rate (normally this is a big challenge for the m43 cameras)

Battery life: I was shooting soccer, and ended up with 1000 photos and a battery at 50%. Not bad at all, and I have zero problem to have 1 more battery with me.

Bottom line: I love it. For sure it is not a cheap camera, but for kind of maximalist like me, it delivers what Sony promised.

janist74's gear list:janist74's gear list
Sony RX100 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony a9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
b m
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow