RX100 mk6 - first impressions

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
janist74 Regular Member • Posts: 255
RX100 mk6 - first impressions

On the weekend I did my first shooting with my new "point-and-shoot". I own the mk2 since 5 years, but I wanted something faster (especially C-AF) with longer reach.

Handling:
- similar to mk2, but the camera is far more responsive (button reaction time, switch on time,...)
- EVF is a great addition, and the A9 like menü system (and options) is great
- focus selection with the touch screen works ok, but sometimes i can not see what I have done

IQ:
- I can not open the mk6 raw file in LR yet, but I guess there will be no difference in comparison with mk5.
- The out-of-camera JPG look good, even at equiv.200mm the photos seem sharp

AF
- wow! and again wow! Many complain about the price of the mk6, but this little gem outperforms all m43 cameras. (I own m43 gear)
- after my first trials, I would not say that the C-AF is on A9 level, but for sure very good
- the camera has no problem following a subject from far distance to close distance with a very high hit-rate (normally this is a big challenge for the m43 cameras)

Battery life: I was shooting soccer, and ended up with 1000 photos and a battery at 50%. Not bad at all, and I have zero problem to have 1 more battery with me.

Bottom line: I love it. For sure it is not a cheap camera, but for kind of maximalist like me, it delivers what Sony promised.

janist74's gear list:janist74's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a9 Sony Alpha a7R III
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
b m
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow