Shooting the upcoming Falcon launch

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
barbakane
barbakane Forum Member • Posts: 63
Shooting the upcoming Falcon launch

I'm planning on shooting the upcoming Falcon 5 on June 29th at 5:41AM. I live about 45 miles south of the launch, so here's my main question:

I'm going to be shooting at a small park on the river about two miles from my house. I want to get a small wharf and rocks in the foreground also. Needing to know the compass degree to point the camera at, when I put in my coordinates and the launch site coordinates into an online calculator, planetcalc.com, I get an azimuth of 352 degrees, 21' 46"...352 degrees. OK. But the compass point degrees is 0. Should I use 352 or 0. I'll be using my 18-55 lens, and want to get the whole launch in. I really don't want to wait till I see the rocket to click the shutter. I realize it's only 8 degrees but I want accuracy, not just luck, if avoidable. Has anyone else tried doing something similar? Too bad Photopills doesn't do rocket launches as well.....maybe on a future update.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow