Canon Pixma Pro-10 vs Pro-100

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RichardA Forum Member • Posts: 56
Canon Pixma Pro-10 vs Pro-100

My Epson 3880 appears to have bit the dust and I am looking for a replacement. I am thinking of going back to a 13" printer since I cannot justify the cost of a larger one this time around. It has been a while since I paid much attention to what is out there but the Canons seem to be a popular choice at a decent price. I would be considering either the Pixma Pro-100 or the Pro-10  I see lots of posts here about the Pro-100 but very few for the Pro-10.

My thoughts on the matter, and a few questions, are as follows. Perhaps someone familiar with one or both can offer some advice:

• Is there a reason, other than price, that the 100 seems to be more popular?
  • I understand that the Pro-100 uses eight dye inks while the Pro-10 uses 10 pigment inks but otherwise they appear to be the same. Is this true?
  • Since my Epson used pigment ink I am familiar with the output I get with those inks. Do the dye-based inks give comparable results using only 8 inks?
  • Do the two ink technologies require different papers? I have quite a bit of paper left from my Epson, so if it is incompatible with dye-based inks that would be a consideration.
  • Both models seem to have been around for a few years.  Are there any replacements on the horizon?
  • Any other reasons why I should consider one over the other?  I know that the 100 is cheaper but I would pay the extra for the 10 if I felt there was value in doing so.  Both are on sale right now (here in Canada anyway).

Thanks,

Richard

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KJC
KJC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow