Must-have accessories for a newbie: x-e3 + 18-55

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bayswater1100 New Member • Posts: 23
Must-have accessories for a newbie: x-e3 + 18-55

I just ordered an x-e3 + 18-55 kit. I am new to Fuji X and have only previously shot JPEG with a Nikon D5200 (used Apple photos to do basic editing).

Any suggestions on accessories and software I should look into?

I've listed everything I've come up with so far - any particular items or brands you could suggest would be greatly appreciated.

I am travelling from next week around the Balkans and Central Europe for about 3 months - unlikely I can pick anything up on the road - so ideally want to buy all bits and pieces this week.

My photography will be travel, landscape and vista, cityscape, astro, hiking (mountains, forests, rivers, waterfalls, ocean), portrait, street. I will shoot video occasionally. One camera, one lens and minimal extra weight.

Tripod: I already have the very light Velbon UT 43D II. It's not a Arca Swiss - but I don't plan on adding a grip for these first few months. Not sure if this tripod can be converted to Arca Swiss at a later date?

Case: Plan on buying a Tenba BYOB 7 or 9 and placing the insert and the tripod into a day backpack

SD card: Would 2x 32gb cards be sufficient considering I'll be transferring to my laptop often? What brand and speed should I get, considering I will shoot video at 1080p or maybe 4k?

Screen protector

Spare battery

Neck/wrist strap: is the neck strap that comes with the camera any good? If not, any suggestions?

Head torch: For night time astro adventures

Soft shutter release

Filters: should I buy an ND to capture long exposures during the day time? I've seen on YouTube that this can be mimicked with photo stacking. I am tempted to get a polarising filter for some extra pop.

PHOTO EDITING SOFTWARE

I've never shot Raw before but plan on doing so for this trip onwards (or at least Raw + JPEG). Should I go with Lightroom from the outset? I've read loads of confusing things about bad Raw processing - or do I just need to add another step to my workflow?

Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow