Quite a lot of headroom in highlights - a6300

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MarBa Regular Member • Posts: 116
Quite a lot of headroom in highlights - a6300

Hi guys,

I'm still learning how to properly set exposure on my a6300. I find the histogram a bit too small to be useful so I mostly rely on "zebra" and overall look in the EVF. I have zebra set to "105+". I think that the EVF is a bit misleading in the overall brightness/color/contrast representation and I have a tendency to underexpose stuff by about 0.5 to 1EV mostly because I worry about clipped highlights and single color channel clipping (not sure if zebra shows up when only single channel is clipped). Anybody knows?

Just recently I tried to shoot the sky with clouds at the exposure where I would just not see any "zebra" on the clouds (even additional +0.3 would show a patch of zebra pattern over the clouds).

I got this image from LR (1/400;5.6;ISO100), no adjustments except custom camera calibration using Passport Checker:

And then I overexposed it by 1.33 stops (1/160;5.6;ISO100), moved exposure slider in LR by -1.33 and got this:

It's identical! I could not find any clipped highlights or color change ... I'm really surprised ... because the camera showed a large zebra patch over most of the cloud in the center. I should have tried even higher overexposure but I thought that I would have clipped highlights with +1.33.

This means that even "105+" is way too conservative, no? What are the settings you use for judging clipping? Probably even "109+" has still quite a bit of a headroom. I'll try that next.

Any down sides of using "109+ zebra" for judging if highlights are not clipped? How about clipping in red/green/blue channel only?

Best,

Marek

Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow