Olympus 12-100 f/4 vs 14-150 M2

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kwa_photo
kwa_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 3,368
Olympus 12-100 f/4 vs 14-150 M2

I made a decision and went with the 12-100 (other threads) and so far am very pleased. I've seen some other threads around asking about these two lenses and if the performance, outside of the f/4 vs. f/4-5.6 is that big to justify the expense. Here is my take and two examples from today.

• Both are weather sealed, the 12-100 likely to a higher degree. This is important to me, YMMV.
  • Yes, the 12-100 is heavier and larger, but not that much worse than the 12-40 f/2.8 in daily use.
  • The 12-100 overall build quality is pro level and inspires more confidence in its long term survival in daily use. It should hold up better and last many more years. I've had other lower and mid-level lenses fail over the years, but never an Oly pro / high grade lens (going back to the old 4/3 days)
  • Both wide open have somewhat comparable center sharpness. Viewed individually, the 14-150 M2 is nice. The 12-100 takes it to another level and has a level of detail a step ahead.
  • On the edges of the frame is where you really see the differences. When both shot at 100mm (as in the images below) and wide open, the 12-100 blows away the 14-150. The edge to edge sharpness with the 12-100 is stellar.
  • The manual focus clutch is critical for video for me, YMMV
  • The OIS is magical....it's almost creepy how still hand help video is with this combo (EM1.2).

Two sample images. Both of these are 100% views from the corners of a larger image. These sections are both from about 100 yards away (house) and 30 yards (grass). Must be viewed at 100% to see the differences.  Please click in the image and not the "view original size".  The original size gives a scaled up view which is not accurate for some reason.

-- hide signature --

Ken
FujiFilm FinePix Moderator (Please PM vs. a public post if you have concerns or questions about the forum)

kwa_photo's gear list:kwa_photo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow