Big Storm Leads to Gorgeous Dusk Skies (Sony 18-135mm)

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 29,968
Big Storm Leads to Gorgeous Dusk Skies (Sony 18-135mm)

It's been a while since I posted non-wildlife related photos, and I had been looking forward to a vacation where I'd get the first chance to really use the 18-135mm lens other than around the wetlands or house in my first tests.  I finally got that chance last week with my summer family trip to Disney World.

I went with my usual plan of packing a diverse group of lenses for the trip - since I drive up, I don't have to worry about packing.  I took the A6300 plus: 18-135mm, 10-18mm, Sony 35mm F1.8, Sigma 16mm F1.4, Voigtlander 35mm F1.4, and 70-300mm G.  As it turned out, being summer meant it was stupid hot, humid, and threat of storms every day, so when it came time each day to pick which lenses to bring to the parks, I ended up 80% of the time with just the 18-135mm attached to the camera with the Sigma 16mm F1.4 in the bag.  One day, I threw the Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 in the mix.  And one day I didn't even bring a bag - the first day up there I just had the 18-135mm on the camera with a ziploc bag in the pocket for rain protection, and stuck with just that.

I drove through some ridiculous heavy storms to get to Disney from South Florida...some of the worst I've ever driven through...the Turnpike was several inches deep with standing water and you could see about 5 feet in front of the hood.  After checking into my villa at Wilderness Lodge, I unpacked, and took a look out from the balcony to see the same storm I drove through just arriving over the hotel and lake:

This was the view from my room - quite nice actually, except for the low, tornadic clouds banding overhead!

The view a bit more to the right, over the lake - the cloud was approaching from behind, so you didn't get to see the whole thing - it started to pour just after this shot

A few hours later, the rains slowed to a drizzle, and I caught the bus to Disney Springs, where I had dinner reservations at 8pm...upon arrival, I noticed the sure sign of bad storms - mammatus clouds that usually follow behind large thunderstorm anvils and wall cloud formations:

The good news is that these clouds are often the last remnants seen of bad storms as they move on - so our area was looking good for the rest of the evening

After dinner, we wandered out to the boat docks of the Boathouse restaurant, where they have a nice floating bar with outdoor seating - to watch the last of the storm clouds move away as the sun started to shine right at sunset

We left the Boathouse just after the sun dropped below the horizon - turning around to look back on the restaurant, I saw the first bits of lovely sky color starting to appear for dusk

Seeking a high spot to get a look at the dusk sky color show, I headed up to the 4th floor rooftop deck of the Paddlefish Restaurant, overlooking Disney Springs - down below on the streets, it was full dusk and dark, but up high, the last of the sun's colors were still putting on a show

I love the view over all the rooftops, gables, and chimneys of Disney Springs, which makes me think of Mary Poppins' london rooftop scene

More views zooming in a bit for just the rooftops and sky colors

As night took over, I headed back down from Paddlefish, and decided it was time to hit another bar - this time, Jock Lindsay's Hanger Bar which has a lovely patio deck hanging over the water.  From there, I could see that even after blue hour, the colors were still hanging on.  I was all handheld, so had to crank up the ISO a bit to catch the night scene:

Looking towards the West End of Disney Springs, and the continuing dusk color show even near 9pm

The convenience of that 18-135mm zoom - to just zoom in a bit more to see closer details of the west end buildings

It was a very nice cap to the first night of the vacation, which started out looking like it could have been a wash-out!

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed as always!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow