Focus issues...me, equipment, or paranoia?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,075
Re: Focus issues...me, equipment, or paranoia?

The problem with the first image is atmospheric distortion.  I looked at the tern shot at 100% and it is sharp.  Don't expect a 45MP image to look as sharp as a 20MP image at 100%, there are a lot more pixels.

I don't know about other images which are not as sharp as you might expect, but the depth of field will be extremely shallow with the FF camera at 600mm.

Your shutter speed is sufficient, even if you had not used stabilization.  With stabilization you should be able to use a much slower shutter speed without problems, unless the target is moving.

Cameras/lenses differ in the slowest shutter speed you might use.  The attached snapshot of my cat was hand held at 1/10 second at 420mm (840 equivalent FF field of view).  It may not be "tack" sharp (the cat was moving it's ears) taken from 97 feet, but it demonstrates the potential of modern stabilization technology.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow