Wide angle lens help

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KiloHotelphoto Forum Member • Posts: 77
Wide angle lens help

I could use some help with a wide angle lens purchase. I don't have much experience with them, almost all of my shooting is with 600mm.

I'm looking for a Canon lens to use on a 5dsr to shoot things like the monuments in Washington DC, old buildings in cities and WWII aircraft and vehicles at shows. I will also like to take some landscape shots when I finally make my way out to Yellowstone and Grand Teton area and Alaska.

I think I have narrowed it down to two lenses. The EF 35mm F/2 IS USM currently $549 and the EF 16-35 F/4L IS USM currently $999. That's about as high as I am willing to spend on a lens that will not really get used much.

I don't want to rent when I need one  because I may decide to go someplace at the spur of the moment and want to have it ready to go.

Comparing the two on DXO mounted on the 5dsr and the 35 F2 looks great, but I don't know if it would be wide enough for what I'm looking to do with it since I don't really have any experience with wide angle lenses. I used to have some with my old Pentax gear but never used them really.

The 16-35 also scores good on DXO but not as high as the 35.  I'm sure it would be wide enough for my needs it also has weather sealing and I would imagine like my other L series lenses it's built solid.

Is there another lens I should considerer for my needs? IS is a must, and I have no interest in third party lenses.

KiloHotelphoto's gear list:KiloHotelphoto's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon Extender EF 2x III +2 more
Canon EOS 5DS R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow