Was thinking of selling/swapping my a99 II for a7R II

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 7,257
Re: Some of the old Minolta lenses are spectacular.

tbcass wrote:

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

I don't disagree with you about the quality of those lenses Douglas, but I'm not sure I would want to lug around a 70-400 on vacation unless wildlife shooting was a serious part of it - it's a pretty large and heavy lens for travel.

I agree and instead use an RX10iv for long telephoto use. I have a small sling bag that holds both cameras, extra batteries, a flash, my RX100 and chargers. Since I use long telephotos exclusively in decent light the much better high iso of the A99ii doesn't come into play. Also the faster lens on the RX10iv compared to a lens like the 70-400 helps compensate and the extra 200mm and eliminates the resolution advantage of the 99ii. As a bonus the RX10iv autofocus tracking is better than the A99ii.

The RX10iv is a very capable performer but as an a99ii owner I can’t help being a bit disappointed that it out-performs the a99ii at AF tracking

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcoc/
"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansel Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Labe
MOD Labe
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow