Pentax Considerations

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mike Arledge Contributing Member • Posts: 997
Pentax Considerations

You all know I am pretty "invested" in my Pentax KP and lenses.  I enjoy them, I feel they are good products for me right now.  I can rely on them to get me great images, and my current setup covers 16-150 DA* lenses, the 55-300, the 43 and the 100 Macro (well there is my HD 70, but it currently is out of commission due to aperture oil leaking onto the rear element).

But, recently I did pick up an Olympus E-M5ii, and even more recently I took the plunge on the Panasonic 42.5 1.2 Nocticron.  I must say, my belief that I need a DSLR is waning from having used that combo recently.  It is smaller to bring anywhere, has excellent video, and now with a lineup of 1.2 lenses, offers some pretty dynamics lens options.  Take a look at a recent outing:

Shots like this are really making me wonder, will I now spend my limited lens funds on new Pentax, or new Micro 4/3 glass.  I also wonder, should I abandon APS-c for full frame, or just stick with Micro 4/3 entirely, given I am not really seeking paid work like I used to.  I could never imagine Pentax tracking keeping up with some of these shots at those wide open apertures.  And also, even Pentax fast glass doesn't quite get me this extreme bokeh look (not that it is the end all be all).

I think all along I have said the biggest weakness for Pentax is modern interesting glass.  Until now, I had not let it affect my buying decisions because Pentax has been great.  Really great at times.  And I would still rather shoot a landscape or fine art portrait/macro with the bigger sensor.  But that does not translate into adding new funds into new Pentax gear for me, I can make my current setup last until it breaks at this point.

I am still very curious about the upcoming 50 prime, that to me will tell me a lot about how invested I will be moving forward with new Pentax offerings.

But for now, I am still shooting and still engaged in the brand.

Thoughts?

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Pentax KP Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +3 more
Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ogl
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow