Canon G7X mark 3 vs Sony RX100 VI

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mercury273 New Member • Posts: 5
Canon G7X mark 3 vs Sony RX100 VI

Curious what people think. I bought the Canon G7X mark 1 back in 2014 for a few reasons. I loved my S100, I was intrigued by 1" sensors especially since 1/1.7" sensors seemed like such a significant upgrade over 1/2.3" sensors , I wanted the greater zoom range over the Sony RX100 mark 3, and my Panny GM1, which I loved, was stolen. Also, I wasn't (and still am not) thrilled with the styling of the RX100 (the parting line that is on the front face of the camera is extraordinarily ugly) , the interface seemed messy, and it lacked a touchscreen.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed with the performance of the G7x mark 1, because I felt like the autofocus was sluggish and the lens seemed soft in comparison to the Ricohs and Panasonics that I'd used in the past. I really wanted to like the G7x, but in the end, I felt like it was a dud.

Fast forward to this month, and Sony has released the new RX100 mark 6. Despite it's design flaws, I've coveted the Sony RX100's since they first came out ( I really should have bought the RX100 mark 3 instead, back in 2014.)

It's purportedly faster than the RX100 mark 5, has a touchscreen, should be tack sharp, and now features a 24 mm - 200 mm lens. The downside is that it doesn't have an ND filter, has a maximum aperture of F2.8, lacks the clarity of a Canon interface, and is really expensive. So here's my dilemma.

Would you buy the RX100 mark 6 or wait until the Canon G7x mark 3 comes out? Was the Canon G7x mark 2 that significant of an improvement over the mark 1?

Mercury273's gear list:Mercury273's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Ricoh CX1 Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +2 more
Canon PowerShot G7 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VI
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow