Tree Swallow: 150-600 Sport+ TC-17E II @1020mm

Started 5 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Morris0
Morris0 Senior Member • Posts: 5,205
Tree Swallow: 150-600 Sport+ TC-17E II @1020mm

My family got me a used Nikon TC-17E II for Father's day that I modified by removing the compatibility tab as described in the link below:
https://nikonrumors.com/2014/10/29/diy-shaving-a-nikon-teleconverter.aspx/

Autofocus works with my D500 though it can be wonky and the use of manual override helps get it perfect then the system did not land it just right. Even more amazing is that when I set AF to Automatic I was able to do flight though one must be patient while focus is achieved. Once achieved tracking was decent.

Close the results are great. It was a very hot day when I tested and heat waves were clearly a challenge for longer images though I did get a few nice ones taken at about 50 years. Pulled back, some of the flight images are a delight.

I was at a diagonal to the sign and cropped to make it appear level. That's why the writing on the left side is a touch soft as the DOF is quite narrow. The lens was set for f8 for both images.

I cropped this one for composition. Most of the frame is included. I was pleasantly surprised how little the heat affected this image as there was about 100 feet of land and then 50 feet of water under the optical path.

The viewfinder is noticeably darker and this may be a challenge in lower light as well as the loss of light due to the TC which had me using higher ISOs to keep the shutter speeds up for the test images. This setup will not be my primary way of shooting yet a great addition to my bag of tricks.

Comments and suggestions welcome,

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Tamron SP AF 11-18mm F/4.5-5.6 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +9 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow