X-T100 early first impressions

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Helen
Helen Veteran Member • Posts: 5,936
X-T100 early first impressions

I've literally had a couple of hours' worth of hands-on time with my newly-arrived X-T100 this morning, so I thought I'd post some initial handling observations. Please feel free to ignore them if you think it's too early in ownership to form any proper views, otherwise I hope they're of some help.

I went for the champagne gold version for a change. It helps me differentiate it at a glance/distance from my silver X-T20. Interestingly, it's more obviously metallic than the X-T20, being anodised aluminium alloy rather than sprayed magnesium alloy, and the cover of the flash is also metal, rather than the X-T20's plastic. The different metal also means that it doesn't have those characteristic Fuji blurred vertical casting lines on the ends of the top plate (no moulding or casting seams at all on the top). The top dials are metal (obviously the X-A series style semi-vertical rear dial is black plastic) and the base is plastic, painted to match the top. The base is a front/rear divided pair of parts, as on some Fuji models but of course the X-T20 and X-E3 have one-piece metal bases.

The EVF seems to be the exact same unit as the X-T20, with pretty much the same eyepiece, though the surrounding part's contours are a bit different. The mode dial has 360 degree rotation; the top deck right thumb wheel is very like that on the X-A models, with a detent strength somewhere between the higher X-T models' EV dial and a control dial; the new dial on the other end has a similar feel. The shutter release lacks a threaded hole for a mechanical cable release and the on/off switch around it on mine has a nice action, with no slop.

The front body covering is apparently not quite the same material as on the X-T20 (it's a bit glossier, more like the X-E3) and the rear "leatherette" is hard moulded plastic (as on the X-T20), but without the velvety "soft touch" paint of that model and it lacks the separate, flexible elastomer thumbgrip of the X-T20 - it's just part of the hard moulding. The 4-way controller is quite flush but sort of domes up towards the OK button in the middle - I have occasionally caught it by accident but it can be totally locked if required. I found the little accessory front fingergrip quite useful - the camera looks great without it (really "classic late 70s 35mm SLR") but it does feel more secure to me with it attached. That piece is hard moulded plastic, this time with the soft-touch paint finish found on the back of the X-T20, so it feels rubbery to the fingertip but doesn't actually flex like synthetic rubber would. Conventional simple metal strap lugs are on the body, rather than the triangular keyed versions with antiscratch wraps of the other non-X-A models.

It's a bit of a culture shock coming from the current X-series range wheel arrangement to something more akin to the X-A models with the X-T100 - I keep fishing around for a front wheel that's not there and the rear "sub dial" isn't where I expect it to be, due to the tilted vertical orientation, though I had no trouble with it when I only used an X-M1. There are no AEL or AFL buttons - AEL is engaged automatically on half-press, as is AFL in relevant AF modes, and there aren't any settings in the menu for switch or press to hold options for these.

The flash release is very like the X-T20's but there is no similar-looking Auto lever on the other side of the top deck since the X-T100 doesn't need it, having a mode dial rather than a shutter speed dial.

There is no physical focus mode switch on the front of the camera - instead this can be easily accessed by a touchscreen tab low down on the right side of the LCD (above it is a picture style one, and the usual AF/AF point/touch to shoot/off tab near the top). There are fewer AF points than the "full" current X-series cameras - in some ways it's a bit like stepping back a generation - but interestingly, the X-T100 does have the "all" option for scrolling through the AF patterns which the X-T20 lacks (the X-E3 and higher models have it).

It is handy to be able to fold the screen out to face forwards if needed whilst retaining the traditional tilting screen design otherwise - kind of the best of both worlds for those who don't like a fully-articulating design.

The camera has touchscreen swipe shortcuts like the X-E3 and X-H1, but doesn't have touchscreen access to the Q Menu, I notice. I found that it has a tendency to accidentally move the AF point whilst swiping (far more than the X-E3 does) so I have turned off the touch AF point ability to stop that happening - it's easy to turn back on with a touch and the swipes still work.

The menu system is an evolved version of the one that the previous X-series models had, rather than the revamped version on the rest of the current X-series. There is no My Menu tab and some of the depth of settings in the other models is understandably absent on this lower-point model.

I've yet to look properly at performance, so I will leave it there for now, and check in occasionally to see if there are any specific questions (by the way, the manual became downloadable yesterday, as the X-T100 became available to buy in the UK). Over here, we can only purchase it in a kit with the 15-45 PZ, not body only, but in all three colours. To end on a shallow note: I actually like the aesthetic design of the camera, and find it more attractive than the deep-shouldered look of the X-T20 (it's somehow more reminiscent of the X-T2's proportions) but that's personal taste.  Remember that the X-T100 is designed to appeal to a different kind of buyer than say the X-T20 - perhaps those new to the system - and whilst it's obvious by looking at it that it goes for the users who prefer PASM mode dials to the more traditional shutter speed dial approach of the other X-T models, it's wise to bear in mind that some of the finer configuration and customisation options are either absent or simply not applicable, though it does have a pretty wide range of customisation options compared with some of the competing models out there.

Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HZP
HZP
HZP
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow