Setting the compression and image size on Olympus questions

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Humansvillian
Humansvillian Senior Member • Posts: 1,571
Setting the compression and image size on Olympus questions

I know that serious photographers use RAW.

I tried Raw. It makes huge 16 mp files and it won't save to Google photos as "high quality", and it's too much trouble for me to use it,,,at least not yet.

The Oly cameras, from my first PL1 through my latest M5 II, have these settings for image size and image compression.

Sizes are Large, Medium, and Small.

Compression settings are Super Fine (must be enabled) Fine, Normal, and Basic.

Then there are some more settings in the menus for the small and medium files.

I shot a whole bunch of photos today with my M5 II. I was filling up the one card I had, and I switched to Medium Normal.

The best I can tell, the Medium size makes about a seven and a half megapixel size photograph, 3,200 by 2400.  It makes about a 1.5 mp file, and the quality pleases me:

Please tell me how that works? Does it crop the sensor? How badly does photo quality suffer? And if conservation of file sizes is a goal, should I drop to Small?

And then as to compression. I realize Super Fine is best, Fine is the default, and Normal ought to be normal. and then there's basic that sounds kind of basic.:-)

My goal is to be able to make four camera settings, the first being Super Fine Large, for family reunions, or when I think the pictures might count.

The second setting is going to be Large Fine. If it's fine enough for Olympus to set up the defaults for, it's good enough for me.

But tell me your thoughts for the two other settings I have available on the Super Control panel.

A lot of my photographs are sent by email and text message to family and friends to post on social media anyway.

Any help on these questions, is sorely needed and would be much appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Humansville is a town in the Missouri Ozarks

Humansvillian's gear list:Humansvillian's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II +31 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow