Before/After Shooting Raw

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mikan
mikan Senior Member • Posts: 1,079
Before/After Shooting Raw

I was browsing my past albums and found some pictures I took in the Universal Studio with my RX100 M3, one year apart. One set was taken before I started shooting RAW (2016), and the other set after (2017). They were taken under a similar weather condition (super sunny and HOT!). Comparing before/after pictures, I am pleasantly surprised at the huge difference I see.

The thing is, shooting JPEG is very difficult in my opinion. You really need to nail your images in camera, and can't mess up the exposure/WB much. Looking at my "before" pictures, I can see that the sky is often overexposed, but if I exposed for the sky, the main subjects would have been underexposed. In RAW, I just import my images to Capture One, apply the auto setting, then play with the exposure sliders, and occasionally with the saturation/contrast sliders, and usually that's it (unless I'm doing portraits in which case I have a completely different workflow). It's very quick, and the results are much nicer than the SOOC JPEGs in my opinion (at least the JPEGs I took).

I just wanted to share those pictures; they aren't the exact same compositions but hopefully similar enough for comparison. And if you are like me and prefer the "after" images but never tried shooting RAW, then I strongly recommend you give the Capture One Express for Sony a try. It's free, so there's really nothing to lose.

P.S. Please do not take this post as a negativism to JPEG shooting. Like I wrote above, I find JPEG shooting difficult, and I sincerely admire those that can nail JPEG images in camera. To me, RAW shooting is easier and makes me more relaxed while I am shooting.

Before (2016)

After (2017). I believe I increased the saturation slightly, hence more vibrant colors.

Before (2016)

After (2017)

Before (2016). It was sunny but you can't tell because the sky is overblown.

After (2017). I definitely increased the saturation in this image, but just a little. I like to keep my images natural looking.

Before (2016)

After (2017). I could have lifted the shadow even more, but decided that I liked this look.

mikan's gear list:mikan's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6300 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
Sony RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow