Canon Pro 1000 waste tank £!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
picktherighttoolforthejob Junior Member • Posts: 49
Re: Canon Pro 1000 waste tank £!

Mark McCormick wrote:

ChicagoRob wrote:

The Pro 1000 is a great printer, but expensive to operate.

Because I have several printers in my studio and mainly produce large format (20x30 inch prints or larger), my Pro-1000 is definitely in a "low use" situation not unlike many folks who buy it thinking it can sit quietly unattended in a corner waiting for an occasional print to be made. It can, but it also means it does heavy cleaning cycles to get up and running again such that it looks like it never clogs, but the preemptive cleaning cycles in low usage scenarios do add up to considerable ink volumes ending up in the waste tank.

My extensive records I've collected over the last two years indicate I spend about 30 US dollars per month "maintenance fees" for the privilege of having the Pro-1000 in my studio, always ready and able to print when I want it to make some prints. The Pro-1000 is indeed very reliable in low use conditions, but it is also a real ink hog unless you print regularly and in relatively high volumes per print session.

kind regards,

Mark

Mark, I want to thank you for your superb efforts that, in my mind, make those who print at home (such as myself)...better at what we do...but also make it more fun!

I've been reading your posts and following your website for years.

My own history with 'photo quality' ink jet printing began with the Epson 1270 (back near the turn of the century, I believe).

As I recall this printer's release was an important moment in wide-format home printing, but much of the excitement surrounding the printer was dampened when the ozone/hv/fading issue reared its ugly head. My own 'solution' to the 1270 fading problem was to purchase a 12"-wide cold laminator--for the most part this worked well.

I got good use out of my 1270 but when it shot craps (with occasional red single-pixel wide streaks on most prints), I did not replace it and instead began having my enlargements printed at the usual online spots and occasionally at Wal-Mart (even today, Wal-mart's Fujifilm one-hour machines produce EXCELLENT images in my town; Walgreens ditched Fujifilm awhile back and, to my eyes, prints produced by their current devices [HP, I believe] are not as good as those produced by the Fujifilm machines).

As you've pointed out elsewhere, printing 4x6's is best done at a trusted commercial service, rather than a wide-format printer--I really do like the Fujifilm 4x6s.

For 3-4 years now I've been using a Canon Pro 100 printing on Canon Pro Luster 13x19 paper.

I have exactly one example of a Pro 100 + Luster paperfade-test that is so simple that it is probably meaningless. Every November I collect a few images and build a monthly calendar--grandparents and in-laws love receiving these as gifts each Christmas.

A 13x19 collage comprised of the 12 months of the 2015 calendar (printed in late 2014 or early 2015) has been taped to the side of a dorm room-sized refrigerator in our family room (no smokers in our home) for 3+ years.

Two days ago I printed another copy of the same image--same printer, same paper, same Photoshop/print set-up settings. To be honest, I had forgotten about previously-produced image located on the size of the fridge...

I don't have a spectrophotometer handy...but I do have the eye-test: and to my own eyes (and my wife's), the 3-4 year old print is indistinguishable from the just-the-other-day print.

I was surprised and I remain surprised: Canon dye inks, when laid down on Canon Pro Luster paper...and not protected by glass or laminate, do pretty well! The OEM dye inks really are better than they used to be...

=====

On another subject, I've been tempted, over the years, to go wider, and to go pigment...and purchase the Canon Pro 1000.

Again, your posts here and elsewhere have been instructive.

I'm not sure I can justify its cost, in light of my rather inconsistent need to print.

Your descriptions (and those of other 1000 users, I think) of occasional 50-60 mL ink 'dumps' kind of scare me--I'm happy with the Pro 100 for now, I guess.

And now I wonder if Canon is about to replace the 1000 with an improved model...the current discounts are quite substantial and if the printer managed its inks better I just might buy one.

Thanks again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow