Does the RX100 VI support Bluetooth Low Energy (BTLE/BLE)?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
OP Prognathous Veteran Member • Posts: 9,186
Re: Does the RX100 VI support Bluetooth Low Energy (BTLE/BLE)?

Enders Shadow wrote:

I'm not all that familiar with the Panasonic implementation. The manual seems to indicate that BLE is used to coordinate with the phone when new images are available for transfer. WiFi is required for file transfers. BLE can also be used to remotely turn the camera on/off. It uses WiFi for full remote control. BLE can be used as a wireless shutter release (without full remote control).

I think you missed the part in the manual about "Playing back or saving images stored on the camera" (p238). In short, to share a picture you just need to open the app on your smartphone, select the picture to share. There's no need to connect to the camera, because BLE keeps it constantly connected.

In contrast, when I'm sharing a picture from my Sony A77-2 through my Android phone (e.g. WhatsApp) I can either use NFC, which works poorly but doesn't require a lot of presses when it does work, or manually launch the Sony application and press the relevant buttons on the camera and in the app, which works more reliably but takes probably 20 seconds to complete (getting the camera and phone to connect takes most of the time, transfer is pretty quick).

Nikon's SnapBridge can use BLE to do live background file transfers. I've played around with it on my D500. It's slow, but worked perfectly for me. Others have reported a whole range of problems. I think it's beyond dumb to automatically transfer all files.

I'm not personally interested in transferring all the files, but rather specific files for sharing. The main reason is that I don't have enough space on my phone for this and don't want to waste battery, but I don't think this option is "dumb". It can actually serve as a good solution for those who need redundancy and don't have a second card slot in their camera.

Edit: According to this video, it does support BLE:

https://youtu.be/pWE9gvrwvUY?t=574

Prognathous's gear list:Prognathous's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow