K1 Mark II using Digital Camera Utility 5 aka Silkypix ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Historicity Senior Member • Posts: 1,401
K1 Mark II using Digital Camera Utility 5 aka Silkypix ?

I received my upgraded K1 the other day. I set it to use PEF raw files and went on a hike. I processed the files late using the software that came with the Mark II, the Digital Camera Utility 5 which is related to Silkypix in someway I don't understand. I read that "Digital Camera Utility 5," is copyrighted by Ricoh, and that it utilizes a "Portion of SILKYPIX Image Processing Engine."

In any case, I understand that in order to develop photos that have been taken with pixel-shift, I must use Silkypix, so the day after my hike I processed them in the "Silkypix Image Processing Engine."

In Silkypix editing I could not manage highlights well enough. I was in a riverbed with deep shadows (under trees) next to the rivers white sand. I am used to Lightroom managing highlights in conditions like these.

I used the Pentax DPReview search and discovered that blown highlights were a problem with earlier versions of Silkypix. Users apparently lived with this limitation. But since I have Lightroom 6 which handles most highlights very well, I am inclined to consider my hand-held pixel shift "experiment" more trouble than it is worth.

I frankly didn't get the Mark II upgrade in order to use the hand-held pixel shift. I suspect that there is too much movement in the subjects I shoot to make this a regular choice to use, but I did want to give it a try.

If I'm not going to be able to get the quality of processing from Silkypix that I want, then I'll be content to use the Mark II set to DNG and process the shots in Lightroom 6. I will be content to benefit from the Mark II's increase in image quality, AF and dynamic range -- or not.

But maybe the "portion of Silkypix image processing engine" statement means this isn't all there is to Silkypix. Perhaps there is some way to purchase the whole thing and not just a portion and the whole thing knows how to manage highlights. Or perhaps the earlier Silkypix portions didn't handle highlights well enough but the one I have does and I simply haven't found the highlight adjustment yet.

Any help on this subject will be appreciated.

Here are the some shots from the aforementioned hike using Silkypix. I didn't however upload the ones with the worst highlights: https://lawrencehelm.smugmug.com/RiverPhotography/Jun-2018/i-HCGZSdj/A

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-600 Olympus E-5 +81 more
Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow