Often-overlooked Canon 200mm 2.8L

Started 3 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Trent Severn Forum Member • Posts: 78
Often-overlooked Canon 200mm 2.8L

The Canon 200 2.8L doesn't get talked about a lot - I'm guessing it's due in large part to photographers preferring the versatility of the 70-200 line of tele-zooms, and maybe because it doesn't quite attain the near-legendary (in my mind) status of the 135 2.0L

My primary subject of interest is live music photography, and although my first choice is to take my 135, there are occasions when I'll grab the 200 if I think I'll need a little more reach, and it's during these times that I'm reminded how good of a lens it is, and wonder why I don't use it more often (actually, I know why, but that's beside the point of this post :-P)

I was catching some of the NXNE performances in downtown Toronto over the weekend. I'm at least 30 feet back from the stage... my view of the left half of the stage is compromised by people in front of me, and obviously I can't move, so I really don't have high expectations of getting any decent shots. I snap a bunch "just in case", thinking I can perhaps rescue a few in post-processing.

Well, I have to say that this is one of the few occasions where, given the circumstances, the end results were much better than I was expecting

Trent Severn's gear list:Trent Severn's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +3 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow