Macro/Still Life Lens - help with decision please

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sianie
Sianie Junior Member • Posts: 49
Macro/Still Life Lens - help with decision please

I’m trying to choose a Macro Lens for my recently purchased Nikon D7500. Macro is a new interest for me and I'd also want to be able to use the lens for still life/product photography and some general use. I’ll primarily be using it handheld and think that I need the lens to have image stabilisation and good AF.

I'd appreciate all thoughts/ recommendations etc. I’ve narrowed it down to these (so far). Prices are in Euro and I'd rather stay under €400 but my budget could be pushed to €599 if it's worthwhile.

- Nikon 40mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro (€289)
I'm concerned about the limitations for macro of a 40mm lens but at the price maybe it would be the best lens to start with.

- Sigma 17-70 mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM Contemporary (€399)
Tempted by the Sigma as it would make a good walk around lens as well as experimenting with macro but I’m not sure how good a macro lens it is?

- Tamron 90mm f/2.8 SPDi Macro 1:1 VC USD (€599)
This one seems to come out best, meets my requirements etc., but it is at the very top of my price range and as a newbie maybe it's capability will be lost on me.

- Nikon 85mm f/3.5G AF-S DX Micro ED VR II (€469)

- Sigma 105 mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM (€449)

- Tokina 100mm f/2,.8 Pro D (€349)
Seems to be highly recommended, tempting at that price, but I'm used to image stabilisation.

Sianie's gear list:Sianie's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro +1 more
Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow