new 2017 iMac - SSD and migration process

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dachshund7 Contributing Member • Posts: 596
new 2017 iMac - SSD and migration process

I'm upgrading my 2011 iMac to a 2017 model sometime soon. I use LR/PS and have started editing video, will probably move up from iMovie to Final Cut Pro X.

I'm sold on getting an SSD drive instead of a Fusion drive. I've been reading in this forum and MacRumors. It seems that a 500G SSD would be sufficient to run the system and apps. I use external drives for LR and backups - I keep the LR data and catalog on the external.

My 2011 has two internal drives, and I put the video data on one of them. My video editing right now is geared towards relatively short youtube videos. Obviously I can drop lots of money and buy the extra fast i7 CPU and a 1TB SSD, but I'm not sure either is necessary.

I'm guessing I should plan to keep video clips on an internal drive as much as possible, and if so then the 1TB SSD would be best, vs. 500GB. From what I've read, one requirement for upgrading the CPU/GPU to i7 is editing 4K video, which I realize is the way things are going, but right now 1080 seems enough for the youtube destination. It seems that the larger SSD would be better value than going to the i7 cpu.

Regarding the migration process, it looks like connecting with the thunderbolt cable would be fastest. Does the migration assistant allow you to choose which data to bring over? I'm on El Capitan and expect to need upgrades to a few apps and may not want all of the older apps.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow