Canon 5D MkII Soft Images

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirkrisbo New Member • Posts: 9
Canon 5D MkII Soft Images

Hi peeps,

After looking for an upgrade from mirrorless to full-frame I've recently picked up a Canon 5D MkII used and I bought a new 50mm 1.8 STM lens for it. I was really keen to start snapping images with it but I've really been disappointed with the image quality, particularly sharpness.

My mirrorless is an Olympus OMD E-M10 Mk1 with a Panasonic Lumix G 20mm 1.7 II lens.

I thought the images from the 5D were particulatly soft and I noticed that, when zooming in, individual eye lashes are not discernible (something even my Google Pixel 2 XL can achieve) so I printed out a focus test and gave it a crack.

Turns out this lens needs something around -10 AF microadjustment. I have another really old zoom lens and it needs around -7 AF microadjustment.

Just to see if my expectations were too high, I've posted a couple of test images here to get some feedback on.

The first three were taken with the Canon and the fourth with the Olympus. All were taken at ISO 100, 1/200 shutter and F1.8 with a flash pointing up and set to 1/128 power.

Am I being mental or should the Olympus produce significantly sharper images?

Thanks,

Kris

Canon 5D MkII RAW AF -10

Canon 5D MkII RAW MF 10x Magnification

Canon 5D MkII RAW MF Green Bars

Olympus OMD E-M10 MkI RAW AF

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow