D500 and 300MM PF w/ TC14 II .. 3 seconds on a coopers hawk

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jimusny
Jimusny Senior Member • Posts: 1,883
D500 and 300MM PF w/ TC14 II .. 3 seconds on a coopers hawk

came at me being chased by several crows.. I shoot my D500 set to CL at 8 FPS because I think I can track better than I can at 10 FPS, gives me time to see the bird better between shutter flips to keep it in focus points.. Took  20 shots.. 1 was motion blurred too much and unfortunately was probably the one with best wing position that I trashed.

This was 2 nights ago.. Last night I took out the Tamron G2 and was not successful at all, even on farther away slower birds that filled frame about the same, most were way too soft or tracking was just awful, once in a while I get a sharp shot with it, but I think I will just use it for perched birds and I think I will just stick to the little 300 PF with  a TC for moving targets... Hoping the 600MM PF works as well if when they release it. I dont think I am not even going  try a 200-500. not worth the weight for an extra 80MM,  if  its just me not even being able to hand hold the lighter Tamron on moving targets, I assume I wont do better with the 200-500

These are all cropped to 100 percent getting a bit bigger as it got nearer.

They are not the long prime the sharp, but acceptable to me and to get  such a high in focus rate on fast flyers make me so happy with this little lens

Jimusny's gear list:Jimusny's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Olympus E-M1 Nikon D500 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +7 more
Nikon D500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow