Legacy Lenses for Micro Four Thirds

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,890
Re: Legacy Lenses for Micro Four Thirds

BruceRH wrote:

I really like the Canon FD lenses but also the Voigtlanders. Adapted lenses are not for everyone, and manual focus is for when you want to slow down and think about what you are trying to capture. AF is great but makes me lazy.

I started adapting lenses because I had a couple of Nikon lenses I bought with my FM2 way back. I found I enjoyed shooting with manual lenses much more than electronic.

I find that the majority of my better photos are shot with manual lenses. I just get really lazy shooting with electronic lenses, even though I shoot in M mode 99% of the time.

Modern lenses are fantastic, sharp, with blazing AF, but there is something to be said for the legacy lenses as well. The rendering can be something special.

Absolutely!

I also have a 35mm f2.8 Carl Zeiss C Biogon T* ZM lens that I love to use on my Pen-F but it is kind of pricey. I like it better than the Voigtlander 35 which I have since sold. One of these days I need to pick up a Jupiter 8 to see what the fuss is about

On the top of my drool list is that Zeiss 100mm macro lens.

The Jupiter 8 is great! When I was in St. Petersburg my girlfriend and i went to a used camera shop looking from M or L mount rangefinder lenses. There were plenty of M42 mount lenses. but I much prefer the shorter l Leica mount lens adaptors.

Anyway, I went through a pile of about 6 or 7 Jupiter 8 s and picked the one I liked best. 2000 rubles about $32 at the time.

Here's a fun sequence. One of my clients has an office in an historic building in Brooklyn Heights, NY overlooking Brooklyn Borough Hall. Not long after I got back from Russia and Finland with my Jupiter 8 I went up on the roof as a fluke with my GX8. There was a Peregrine Falcon sitting on the scales of justice statue on top of Borough Hall. I was bummed I didn't have a longer lens.

Shot #1 full res converted form RAW. Shot #2 a 100% crop. No other processing or sharpening. I think I shot at between f5.6 or maybe f8.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow