An example showing the effect of using DxO and Photoshop Shake Reduction

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimH123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,431
An example showing the effect of using DxO and Photoshop Shake Reduction

These images were taken using an Olympus EM1 mark 1 along with a Tamron 500mm reflex mirror lens. Camera was on a tripod, but it was windy and the flower was being buffeted around. I am very happy with this lens. I also have a Sony with Minolta 500mm reflex which is auto focus. I like the AF on it, but it is really difficult to manual focus. Not so with this Tamron 500mm reflex on the EM1. Used the focus magnifier and was able to nail the focus.

Image 1 is the original. Shot in RAW and imported into Lightroom and simply exported to a JPEG file without any adjustments.

Image 2 started with the same image in Lightroom, and first was sent to DxO Photolab for a tiny bit of Prime noise reduction, and a bit of micro-contrast increase. These are my two favorite DxO adjustments. Not too much of either, or artifacts can be created. Then back to LR with no additional adjustments. Then a call to Photoshop. Created a duplicate layer and used Photoshop's Shake Reduction found in the sharpen filters. I moved the access point to the center of the flower and let it automatically determine the amount of shake. When first called, it put the control point towards an edge of the flower, but I got better results from the center.

Then created a third layer which I used "High Pass" filtering. This is a tremendous way to sharpen and I use it all the time.

When done, I flattened the layers and sent it back to LR where I exported to create the 2nd JPEG.

Here they are.  The difference is most obvious if you double click on one of the images after opening, and then view one and then the other.

Original with no adjustments

Image treated with DxO Prime and Micro-Contrast, then Photoshop Shake Reduction & High Pass filtering

JimH123's gear list:JimH123's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Olympus E-M1 Sony a77 II Olympus E-M5 II Pentax K-3 II +1 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow