Photos at the Cambridge American Cemetery

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Barry Pearson
Barry Pearson Veteran Member • Posts: 8,717
Photos at the Cambridge American Cemetery

I'm a member of the Sally B Supporters Club .

Sally B is a B-17 WW2 bomber, of which large numbers flew incredibly dangerous daylight bombing raids over Germany from bases in England. Huge numbers of American men, often hardly older than boys, died in those raids. Sally B acts as a flying memorial to those Americans. See Photos: The B-17 Flying Fortress , for a previous post on this topic.

Near Cambridge is the Cambridge American Cemetery , where there are graves of about 4000 Americans, and the Tablets of the Missing listing about 5000 more Americans whose bodies were never found. A large proportion of those graves and listing are for those B-17 crews who never went home. I've photographed Sally B in the past. I wanted to photograph the Cemetery too. On Saturday 16th June I did so. Here are a few of the photos.

The camera was the K-1ii. The lenses were the D FA 24-70mm and the D FA 15-30mm.

One of the entrances.

A plan view of the cemetery in metal.

The memorial in the distance. The Tablets of the Missing on the right.

One of the 4 guards of the Tablets of the Missing. There are names on either side.

One side of the Memorial.

The entrance to the Memorial.

The entrance to the small chapel inside the Memorial.

The ceiling of the Memorial.

Some of about 4000 grave stones.

Some of about 4000 grave stones.

The flag, raised and lowered each day.

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +23 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow