Dropped my camera, any advice?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MinAZ
MinAZ Senior Member • Posts: 4,112
Dropped my camera, any advice?

I dropped my camera, 5D Mark IV with 24-70mm f/2.8 attached. I tried to grab it of a coffee table and missed, and it fell on to the floor, lens first. The lens hood locking tab broke, UV filter was not affected. But I am concerned that some internal damage might have occurred. The one test I have performed so far is to stick some text on a wall and shoot wide open at f2.8, 1/400s. I held the camera in one hand, and in the other I stabilized the text on the wall (I am traveling, so no tripod or tape with me ATM). Shot at 24mm, 35mm and 70mm. The text at the center focus point seems sharp at maximum magnification on my rear LCD. As you move away from the center, it rapidly falls out of focus. Is this likely caused by the drop? Can it be repaired if so? What other tests can I do? It is very hard to tell if any damage was caused as it doesn't to seem to have failed catastrophically, so it's not obvious. Minimum focusing distance seems poor now. Anything else I should test?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow