D500 and 200-500 take a tour to old Germans and Romans

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ruekon Contributing Member • Posts: 636
D500 and 200-500 take a tour to old Germans and Romans

Last week I visited a natural resort next where I live. We still have some remainders of the old river Rhine that used to occupy a lot of space with many branches in the old times. Whereas the main stream has been "civilised" about 150 years ago, some of the old branches are still there. The occupied land serves for flood prevention and was declared as protected area.

Here is a picture of such an old branch from last week -- time stands still -- all that's missing is some Romans with their long boats:

My 18-140 did a good job for the above landscape. But it ran into limitations when looking at birds:

Owning a D500 and being a regular reader of this forum, it is clear that I was missing the 200-500mm f/5.6. I returned this week

The 200-500 is sharp. I took a test shot of storks first, similar to shots I had taken with the Sigma 50-150 last year and the Nikon 18-140 recently. The 200-500 is something different:

Things became more tricky when I really wanted to exploit the additional reach. It becomes harder to track AF and a lot of air in between introduces additional challenges:

Then I returned to the place where the 18-140 failed to frame birds. At 500mm I could frame a group of cormorants:

These guys were almost extinct in our area, because they are said to eat a lot of fish:

Today they returned to our little protected area next to river Rhine. I think I will return too and hopefully manage to get a bit closer.

The 200-500 impresses me. Sharp and sufficiently fast with f/5.6 in such situations. The zoom range is huge -- equivalent 750mm with the D500. It's now me who has to work on my skills ...

Ruekon's gear list:Ruekon's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +4 more
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow