Best Wide Angle zoom for my GX9?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
scphoto
scphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,612
Best Wide Angle zoom for my GX9?

I’m relatively new to 4/3rds photography. I’m looking for a wide angle zoom to round out my equipment. I have a Panny GX9 with the following lens: Panny 14-140 (I use this the most), Panny 25mm (because it is f/1.7 and was inexpensive), and the Panny 12-60 kit lens (which is useless given that I have the 14-140)

I’m looking for something that would be good for travel (I’m planning a trip to Eastern Europe this Fall) and doesn’t exhibit a lot of distortion at the low end. I can see using it for interiors (old churches?) and some outdoor architecture or landscape. I don't want a fisheye. My understanding is that I have the following choices (prices are approx.):

1. Panny 7-14 f/4 (doesn’t take filters, but I usually don’t use filters) - $700US
  2. Panny Leica 8-18 f/2.8-40 - $900US
  3. Oly 9-18 f/4-5.6 - $550US
  4. Oly 7-14 f/2.8 - $1,300US (probably out of my price range)
  5. Others? (maybe not be Panny or Oly)

The most important feature for me is accurate autofocus and good image quality. I don’t need “excellent”, but “excellent” would be nice if it only cost a $100 or $200 more. In the outdoors, image stabilization isn’t that important, but shooting indoors (a cathedral), the exposure time is long and good image stabilization may be important, no … I’m not going to carry a tripod. Great IOS is something that has attracted me to Panny products.

I don't think I want a wide-angle prime since I want to keep the need to change lenses at a minimum ... but maybe you can persuade me otherwise?

So … what do you recommend for me? Or … what lenses should I avoid?

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

- Simon

scphoto's gear list:scphoto's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony RX100 VI Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow