My D500 handled a job where my E-M1 Mk II overheated and shut down

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 7,811
Re: My D500 handled a job where my E-M1 Mk II overheated and shut down

Giiba wrote:

whumber wrote:

I wonder if the E-M1ii would have had problems this year. Records indicate that the weather conditions were fairly different (85 and sunny last year vs 72 and overcast this year) which could have an effect. That said, I'm surprised at all that a D500 is more robust than an E-M1ii. I took almost 10K shots at a stage race with a 1DX on a brutally hot day a few years ago and it didn't miss a beat.

The temperature and weather conditions invalidate the cross-comparison. There is a huge difference in heat dissipation between 85+sunny vs 72+overcast. The Olympus might have failed a torture test but there is no evidence here to suggest that the D500 wouldn't also fail.

The sun came out before noon, I got a wicked sunburn to prove it. Whether a D500 would have failed last year is unknown. As far as I'm concerned the D500 will be my camera of choice at this particular event in the years to come until it is replaced or fails like the Olympus did last year.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
Dan
NCV
Dan
NCV
Dan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow