My D500 handled a job where my E-M1 Mk II overheated and shut down

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 7,801
My D500 handled a job where my E-M1 Mk II overheated and shut down

I'm the end point photographer for the American Cancer Society Philadelphia Bike-a-thon (BAT), which ends at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City NJ. Last year one of my E-M1.2 shut down after shooting 3,500 photos in 90 minutes as it had overheated. Part of it was my fault as I did not pay attention to the warnings the E-M1.2 was approaching a temperature limit. I was using the electronic shutter at 8 fps. I switched to my backup E-M1.2 and shot another 1,700 pictures for 45 minutes before breaking off to cover the Survivor Ceremony, by which time the overheated E-M1.2 had cooled off and was ready to take pictures. Setup on first E-M1.2 was with grip, using 12-100/4.0. I lost some shots switching to backup E-M1.2, as I had to change lens from 8mm/1.8 fisheye to 35-100/2.8. Second E-M1.2 was not used with a grip.

This year I had the entire finish line activities, which meant I was covering the finish line for 5.5 hours non stop. I decided to get a D500 with grip to shoot the event. I was using the Nikon FX AF-P 70-300mm/4.5-5.6. Keeping in mind last year's debacle I brought my two E-M1.2 with 40-150/2.8 on the gripped E-M1.2 and 12-100/4.0 on the second E-M1.2 in my camera bag on location ready to go. I was shooting at 10 fps on the D500 and shot 15.993 pictures in basically a 5.5 hour time frame, as I had taken about 50 shots before the first rider crossed the finish line at 09:40 AM this year. I was going non stop changing batteries and memory cards on the fly. The D500 handled the load with no problems. I had about 3,500 riders to take pictures off.

I still plan on using my E-M1.2 for my grammar school sports, and day 2 (IE finish line activities) on my two remaining bike-a-thons for MS in September October time frame, where I only have to deal with about 400 cyclists on day 2.

Here is last years ACS Philly BAT pictures.
https://www.brianric.com/Philly-ACS-Bikeathon/2017-ACS-Philly-Bike-a-thon/

Here is this years ACS Philly BAT pictures.
https://www.brianric.com/Philly-ACS-Bikeathon/2018-ACS-Philly-Bike-a-thon

Here is my original post from last year.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59696906

I do like my E-m1.2, but I'm not tied to one system and will use a DSLR when necessary to get the job done.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D810 Samsung NX1 +32 more
Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
Dan
NCV
Dan
NCV
Dan
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow