Epson 3800 Decisions

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
elwood Contributing Member • Posts: 898
Epson 3800 Decisions

Hello all, it has been 7 years since posting last, but I know that you will have the best perspective on the question - The future of my  Epson 3800 and my re-awakening love of photography.

Context: My 3800 is from the original batch. Loved it back in the day. I haven't printed in at least 5 years. I made a cabinet to perch it on top of with plenty of paper storage. The 3800 now resides on a lower shelf and a D-Bot 3D printer that I built is on top. The entire ink set must be expired by at least 4 years. Many will be 7+ years out of date.

Question: Is it worth dumping $500 into a new ink set to bring it back to the top of the cabinet and displace the D-Bot to another location? That is quite a risk. The new Canon 100 deal seems quite sweet, but I am not sold on it's matte printing abilities from reading up on it here briefly. I loved the B&W prints I got from the 3800 and Matte paper... How long will Epson still make those inks?

I can always dump the 3800 and go with Costco / White House Custom Color. WHCC has a Matte paper, is it any good? I think the Canon Pro-100 will do right by me for color and glossy/Luster prints.

Thanks for your help!

elwood's gear list:elwood's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow