Is the Sony FE 70-300mm worth it?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
isvana Regular Member • Posts: 448
Re: Is the Sony FE 70-300mm worth it v Canon 70-300 or Sigma 100-400

fboss wrote:

I received yesterday a Canon 70-300 II f4-5.6 USM ... Phase detection AF is fast with the MC11 adapter and sharpness seems good at all FL. ...

Interesting choice - good to hear it works with the MC11!

I tried 2x Sony 70-300 FE in the past but wasn’t impressed by the sharpness and AF. Maybe copy variation , but for $1000+ , I expected better.

Some of the lens test sites seem a little indifferent to the 70-300 performance, while some users rave about it... will be interesting to see if your Canon matches the Sony performance (IQ and AF speed / accuracy) and your thoughts on the relative value.

So I ended with the Sigma 100-400 that works well with the MC11 in AF-C (and good optic), but a bit heavy for me. Will probably sell it, although 400mm (600mm aps-c ) can be convenient.

That would be the logical choice for value: more reach, good IQ, but is the AF up to the 70-300 level? I'm tempted but concerned by the non-native AF (plus the there is also the extra cost / complexity of MC11 and USB dock for tuning)... again will be interested in your relative thoughts on this!

isvana's gear list:isvana's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6300 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow