Which Metabones Speedbooster for Sigma 105mm f1.4 lens?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
razorfish Contributing Member • Posts: 602
Which Metabones Speedbooster for Sigma 105mm f1.4 lens?

To those who don't know me, I love the micro four thirds system and find it the most appropriate sensor size for digital photography. The small yet high quality lenses are unique in this system, and most of all, the ability to go deep into telephoto with small lenses like the Panasonic 50-200mm and 100-300mm is something no other system is even close to matching. However, I've been missing one feature: The ability to work with extremely shallow DOF. Kinda sick of hearing "then go FF", because I find FF systems to be incredibly impractical for most of the things I want to do. But I'd still like one single lens that'd let me play with ultra-shallow DOF and bokeh in portraits (and other creative stuff too). I wouldn't care much about the size of this single lens, because it would be for special occasions and purposes.

The dream is something like the Canon 200mm f2, which of course is actually still too big. For those who haven't seen samples from this lens, it completely crushes "traditional" portrait lenses in the 85-105mm range when it comes to compression, subject separation and bokeh. I've been dreaming of a close to 100mm f1.0 from Oly or Pana, but they seem to careful and conservative in their lens development, that will most probably never happen.

Recently I noticed the new Sigma Art 105mm f1.4, which looks very impressive, almost like a miniature version of the Canon 200mm. There aren't any tests yet, but judging from the huge front element, optical quality should be absolutely stellar. My idea is to mount this lens (in Canon mount) to the Panasonic G9 through a Metabones Speedbooster (either the 0.71x or the 0.64x), and achieve either a 75mm f1.0 or a 67mm f0.9 (depending on version). All automatics including AF should then work (don't mind if AF would be a bit slow).

Of course spending that kind of money, image quality would have to be top notch, so I'm asking anyone who may have used a Metabones Speedbooster to share their opinions/experiences. Is there a degradation in image quality and sharpness using these? And do they function properly, as described by the manufacturer? Also, which one would you choose, the 0.71x or 0.64x?

Thanks for any advice

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow