Epson P800 or....?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Senior Member • Posts: 2,433
HP Z3200 PS or Z9+, or 13-inch dye-ink printer?

I have over the years had Epson printers and have been stunned by the quality or frustrated ny ink clogs in about equal measure.

I now have two faulty printers on my hands. One 7880 and one 4800....

My problem is that I don't actually print that often commercially these days.... Other than that it stis pretty idle. However I HATE being without a printer. I fell naked! Not like a proper pro.

I feel I need a printer again so that I can get back to some pleasure prints for myself - a few weekly and then my busy periods.

Can you help me to make the decision please. Pros and cons for P800 vs ... any others?

Perhaps I should think of smaller format?

Let's see:

* You're a pro who feels like you have to have a printer.

* You have a 24-inch-wide printer, so presumably you have some use for that size, but you would consider something smaller than a 17-inch-wide printer.

* Your printer might well sit idle for extended periods of time. Your idea of "a few weekly" sounds to me more like an aspiration than a firm commitment--am I right or wrong about that?

If realistically you're likely to go multiple weeks without printing, then it sounds to me like there are two decent solutions:

(1) There's the great-but-expensive solution (£2500+). By most accounts HP printers are the best pigment-ink printers in terms of tolerating extended periods without printing, and without clogging. HP doesn't make a 17-inch (or smaller) photo printer, but the maybe-now-being-replaced (or maybe it will continue?) Z3200 PS is available in 24-inch width, and has a great reputation; or else HP just announced the Z9+, which may be sort-of a replacement (https://www.dpreview.com/news/7794685541/hp-unveils-designjet-z6-and-z9-large-format-printers-that-use-less-ink).

(2) There's the budget but still good solution (£270 to £360). Get yourself a 13-inch-wide dye-ink photo printer. Such a printer will happily print up to 13x19 inches. The dye inks look great on glossy and luster-type papers, and some (but not all!) matte papers. The dye ink printers are tolerant of long periods without printing--either no clogs, or minor ones that clear readily with a basic self-cleaning. Basically your choice is the Canon Pro-100 or the Epson XP-15000.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S110 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow