Sensor size and manufacturer hierarchies - Do they still exist?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pannumon Senior Member • Posts: 1,866
Sensor size and manufacturer hierarchies - Do they still exist?

It's often seen in this forum that someone shows a comparison of size between µ4/3 with let's say f/2.8 lens and APS-C or FF camera with focal-length equivalent, f/2.8 lens. Of course, in terms of DOF and light gathering, the µ4/3 lens is equivalent to f/5.6 (in case of FF). Then as justified, the discrepancy of equivalent of is pointed out by other forum members.

It seems that many people tend to think that although µ4/3 has the benefit of being smaller, it still cannot match the larger sensor equivalent.

What if instead we would not take the larger-sensor camera as the standpoint, but make a cross-comparison from both directions?

Fore example µ4/3 does not have anything equivalent to a FF camera with 24-70mm f/2.8 lens.

On the other hand, a FF system has nothing equivalent to Panasonic 12-32mm pancake or Olympus 14-42 EZ.

One reason is that I believe that for example FF PDAF systems cannot focus with smaller apertures than f/8. Whatever the reason is, those lenses do not exist for larger formats (and then there is the flange + mirror box issue).

I think the community still suffers from the hierarchical idea that larger sensor and especially Canon and Nikon are the references that smaller formats should match, and not vice versa. All-in-all, the SYSTEMS are NOT equivalent, and therefore these kind of presumptions can lead the customers to commit to a non-optimal system.

Do you feel this is the situation, or am I alone?

pannumon's gear list:pannumon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow