Some Critics Ruin The Fun Of Photography

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 38,600
Some Critics Ruin The Fun Of Photography

There is a subset of posters on these forums that seem to think every sports, wildlife, macro or birding photo has to be up to professional standards. That If people post such photos they must be sure to show professional level work. The thing is few if any of the photographers here are professional, how many wildlife, birding and macro photographers here are actually employed by National Geographic or some other magazine or journal. How many sports photographers here are employed by Sports Illustrated? That being said how many of the critics who say they're offering constructive criticism when in reality they're just being arrogant are employed in a professional level? Lets not forget that this subset overlaps another subset that seem to think that they are the only experts and nothing should be posted unless its up to their standards. A final overlapping subset is those posters who believe strongly that if its not done the usual way its not right essentially destroying creativity at its core. So not every sports photographer is employed to get the best photo, nor do the have the best equipment especially in this forum. In fact most who'd post here are doing it for the fun and enjoyment of getting the opportunity to shoot a subject they enjoy and when they get decent or even great results by whatever means they shouldn't be criticized but applauded for their efforts especially given their choice of gear. We all know that if we had to be professional in the matter we'd use different equipment, we don't need to be told that. Way back in the K20D era I shot one round of the red bull air races with a manual focus 800mm F8.0 mirror lens, did I do it because I was trying to get the best results? NO! I did it because I could and for the fun of it. Afterward I switched to a higher quality AF lens for the next round to get better results, still I was not being professionally employed I was having fun! Not every person who photographs wildlife has the ability or opportunity to stake out a spot for hours if not days to get the ideal photo. Not every person who photographs wildlife is being employed by National Geographic or is going out of their way to get the best most ideal photo. Most of us are shooting wildlife by opportunity and for the fun of it. So what if we didn't get a shot worthy of money! Getting the shot alone is tough enough in some instances and is worthy of being appreciated by our peers. How many of the critics are actually paid wildlife photographers and for that matter how many paid wildlife photographers would be blatantly critical of the average-joes photos. The same can be said of birding, macros and many others.

Now I have this question since when does photography have to be put into a well defined box? Why must portraits be shot at specific focal lengths? I've shot them at 1050mm equiv. they looked pretty good to me. I even have a portrait of a slightly different style at 36mm equiv. that I think is really good. I don't disagree with the general rules of thumb I just don't think they should be the be all and end all, they are general after all. To remove creativity and exploration from photography is to doom photography to a boring been there done that activity.

Some people need to stop being critical without knowing the back story, they need to stop assuming every photo has to be professional. No photographer worth anything needs a professional setup to get great photos of their chosen subject, nor do they need such a setup or dedication to share such photos with their peers. We truly should support our peers when they're creative, explorative, unorthodox and just having fun. To be unsupportive is not constructive criticism, its being the destroyer of all that is good in photography! And for what? a superiority complex? Some other kind of insecurity? Or maybe simply jealousy!

For most of us this hobby is fun for funs sake and yes some of us put more effort into the specifics but we're still having fun. As soon as it becomes a job it is no longer a hobby for funs sake. I know most of you don't need this rant but there are a few among us in this forum and Pentaxforums that really need a reality check and for that reason this rant was for them.

Now go out and enjoy photography whatever it is and however you choose to shoot!

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

Pentax K20D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
tko
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow