Is it just me? (sharpness issue)

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PointsMD New Member • Posts: 20
Is it just me? (sharpness issue)

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded to the a6500 from my trusty NEX5T and am wondering about something -- why do some photos, with the same exposure, turn out extremely sharp but others do not? I'm shooting in AF-C with shutter or AF priority, usually wide, and using Eye-AF. Sometimes an image comes out amazing with great sharpness, and sometimes it doesn't work out. I usually shoot with a SS of 1/125 or faster. Here's an example of the sharpest picture I've shot (close to 1:1 crop). It was done with the Sony 85mm 1.8 and Sigma 30mm 1.4 as well as other photos that didn't turn out as well. I guess the question is how can I reproduce this result with other images? I shoot moving children a lot of the time and regardless of the lens and how fast its supposed to focus I typically don't end up with incredibly sharp images (sharp yes, but not like the ones below).

Thank you!

Comparison of the 85mm (L) and 50mm (R) - both shot around ISO800 - 85mm is not as sharp as it can be, is it the ISO difference?

1:1 crop of 85mm shot. ss 1/160, iso 100, F2.0

Sigma can produce similar results. with a similarly staged photo. So is the sharpness a consequence of minimally moving subject, good lighting, low ISO and slightly stopped down aperture? Thank you!

NEX-5T Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow