Becoming hard for me justify APS-C...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lens_Goat Regular Member • Posts: 463
Becoming hard for me justify APS-C...

I have the Sigma 16 for the a6000 and I have found it to be marvelous lens. It is sharp and ostensibly well-built. It is also reasonably priced.

I see Samyang is releasing a "pancake" 24mm f/2.8 autofocus lens for Sony FF. If you let me indulge in equivalency, the two lenses provide the same field if used on their intended mounts.

The one drawback of the Sigma 16 is that it is a bit big for my tastes; it does not befit APS-C bodies. This new Samyang 24mm is miniscule. What bothers me if that the combination of my a6000 and Sigma 16 weigh in at 26.42 ounces, while the combination of the new A7 III and this 24mm Samyang Pancake is slightly less. Obviously price should is always a big consideration, but, to me, the biggest draw of APS-C is size and portability. The latter would likely produce better images to the most discriminating shooters (The Samyang 35 AF f/2.8 got great reviews.) If you're a dyed in the wool prime shooter, I can't think of a compelling reason not to view full-frame as your end goal. The A7 and A7 II are cheaper and lighter than the A7 III.

As much as folks here have clamored for a 16-50 f/2.8 zoom, the best reason I can think of to use Sony APS-C is for the small zooms. The new 18-135 and the too often maligned kit lenses. Otherwise, it's nothing of a stepping stone until funds permit you to go FF.

Lens_Goat's gear list:Lens_Goat's gear list
Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | A Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (Sony) Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Sony a6000 Sony a7 III Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow