X-Trans "Worm" Issues

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nick Sandin
Nick Sandin Forum Member • Posts: 56
X-Trans "Worm" Issues

Hello All,

I recently acquired a secondhand X-T2 to get back in to the Fuji system. I owned an X-T1 and an X100S several years ago and have always had a fondness for the Fuji user interface. I had always been aware of the complaints about the X-Trans rendering of foliage, but I never really encountered or noticed any issues with the older cameras.

A couple days ago I took the X-T2 out with the 18-55 2.8-4 for a quick walk to make some test photos. Upon reviewing them I immediately noticed some terrible smearing/"worm" effects in some foliage in my photos. Assuming something must have gone haywire in Lightroom, I tried processing the images through Iridient X-Transformer. While the results were somewhat better, I can still see a significant amount of artifacts, and the level of detail in the foliage is still unacceptable. The out of camera JPEG also exhibits these issues, with a result similar to X-Transformer.

I tried for about an hour using different combinations of settings in X-Transformer as well as Lightroom (I am very familiar with techniques for working with X-Trans files, i.e. high "detail" settings for sharpening), but I was unable to come up with an image with an acceptable level of detail in the foliage.

At this point I don't know if this is just something I didn't notice in my previous Fuji experience due to my subject matter, if this is something more pronounced with the 24MP sensor, or if I have just raised my expectations in the time since I previously used Fuji products (I have since been shooting with the Nikon D810 and Sony A7R II).

I will most likely end up selling the camera, however, I am curious to see if anyone else is experiencing this level of problems and if there are any other solutions out there which I am not aware of.

Please see the samples below. In this image, the issue comes up mostly in the darker background trees.

Out of Camera JPEG

Lightroom Only Edit from Raw

Lightroom Edit with X-Transformer Sharpening.

-- hide signature --

Come check out my Flickr: flickr.com/nsandin88

Nick Sandin's gear list:Nick Sandin's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D810 Sony Alpha a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow