Considering an ultrawide zoom for my Nikon

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bkjones88
bkjones88 Regular Member • Posts: 150
Considering an ultrawide zoom for my Nikon

I told myself I wouldn't buy any new glass in the near future, but I'm sure you all know how it feels when you nonetheless start to get that itch. I'm thinking about an ultrawide zoom for my D3400. I've only been into photography about half a year, but have been drawn to landscapes. Current go-to lens is a Sigma 17-50. Part of what prompted this recent urge for an ultrawide was a small waterfall I came across on a hike. There was a great composition opportunity right up against the falls, but I couldn't fit the whole scene at 17mm. I think an ultrawide  could be a fun piece of gear to add, plus I'm potentially traveling to Ireland in a couple months.

As usual, I've done some preliminary Google research. What's jumped out is the Sigma 10-20 f3.5. Seems to have pretty solid reviews. Good sharpness, with some complaints about the corners but I know that's to be expected with just about any zoom.

The Sigma 8-16 looks pretty incredible, but the price is a turnoff.

I know Nikon makes a couple ultrawide zoom options but the general sense I got is that none really beat the Sigma 10-20 in quality v. price.

However I'm open to any and all suggestions/brands. I'd love to hear people's experiences with these lenses, any others, and ultrawides in general. Thanks!

-- hide signature --
 bkjones88's gear list:bkjones88's gear list
Nikon D3400 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G
Nikon D3 Nikon D3400 Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow