My first prime (Sony A6000)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SireBringo New Member • Posts: 1
My first prime (Sony A6000)

Hi there,

I'm looking to buy my first prime before going on holiday to Greece for 10 days. I currently own my Sony A6000 for a little over 3 months. I bought it together with the kit lens (16-50) and the 55-210 and want to add one prime lens to my small but expanding arsenal.

Now I've been looking into some of the most used primes;

• SEL35F18: the commonly praised prime for E-mounts. I can purchase this lens for $350 new and I am tempting to buy this one, as it is generally seen as the most all-round prime with OSS.
  • Sigma 30mm f1.4: even though I haven't noticed the OSS myself, I feel like I will miss out on it. Even though it is said to be quite a bit sharper than the SEL35F18, I've also read that it might have issues with AF when shooting in f/2. This lens would cost me about the same as the SEL35F18 (perhaps $10-20 difference, so that is negligible).
  • SEL50F18: I love shooting portraits, but I'm unsure whether a prime that is only suitable for portraits is my flavour. Cost at about $240.

Now I'm willing to spend close to $450 for my new (travel) prime/lens, but I'm constantly switching my mind between these and would like to have some advice on which one I should choose for all-round use (portraits, but also street-photography and a bit of landscape here and there).

Thanks in advance!

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow