Aussie Birds in Flight (e-m1 mk ii + 300 f4 pro)

Started 10 months ago | Photos thread
vass
OP vass Senior Member • Posts: 1,900
Re: Aussie Birds in Flight (e-m1 mk ii + 300 f4 pro)

Paul Auclair wrote:

great captures Vass especially the ones with the foliage backgrounds..

i am still experiencing low to extremely low success BIF rates once the birds are out of the clear sky and into the foliage background.

what are your BIF settings?

Paul

Thank you Paul

I pretty much copied the below info from notepad file as I get asked a lot

I don't have a specific setting as it all depends on the bird, size and speed, location so my setting are always different but basically most the time as below.

I use C-AF and CA-F + Tr. The Tracking with clear backgrounds usually.
looseness from 0 to +2 (depends how erratic the bird is)
If I loose acquisition while tracking I just re-focus, it's pretty easy to see what the tracking box is doing in Tracking mode.
Make sure IS is off too when shooting at fast shutter speeds, no need for it at fast speeds and it just makes the image in the EVF jumpy.
I uses single, 5 , 9 and all AF points, once again this depends on my backgrounds and how close i'm generally to the bird.
release priority c = on most the time.
Get a little more keepers with it on at the cost of more photo sorting time
Manual shutter @ 10fps in sequenial L for all the fast birds and electronic shutter @ 10-15fps in sequential L for slower things like raptors etc.
Turn off recview.
All the rest of the settings would pretty much be camera default.

-- hide signature --
 vass's gear list:vass's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow