Getting the print to match the image on screen

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bogibbes Forum Member • Posts: 92
Getting the print to match the image on screen

I'm not sure if this belongs here, or over in the Retouching forum, but I'll start here.

I'm new to printing my images, and have been outsourcing my prints to Mpix. Out of confusion, the last couple of orders I have chosen the "Color Correction" option and I've had the same image printed on two different occasions, and each print looked completely different. The confusion was based on the assumption that the color correction process was automated, or standardized, but apparently an actual person manipulates the colors and contrast which is what led to essentially two different "edits".

So I started reading about monitor calibration and what not, and ordered a Spyder5 calibration tool, and at the same time, placed a new order with Mpix without choosing the "Color Correction" option. My prints came in yesterday and look fantastic, nearly identical to what they look like on my computer. So close that I wouldn't make any changes to the file.

My question is: If with no color corrections the Mpix printers are closely dialed to my computer screen in terms of color reproduction, shadows, highlights, etc., do I still need to keep the Spyder5 tool? I bought it from B&H so I can return it, but don't know if there are reasons to keep it or not.

Thanks for the help!

-- hide signature --

IG: bogibbes

Bogibbes's gear list:Bogibbes's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Fujifilm X-T2 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow