Rokinon 12mm f2 or Fuji 10-24 f/4...?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
OP sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 1,903
Re: Rokinon 12mm f2 or Fuji 10-24 f/4...?

LTTan wrote:

Since we are on the topic of Rokinon 12mm f2 or Fuji 10-24 f/4, I thought I will post my question here instead of starting a new thread.

I am planning a trip to Iceland this coming December and one of the main purpose is to take pictures of the Northern Light. Currently I have the 16mm f1.4 lens and after doing much research, it seems a wider lens is preferred for the Northern Light. So now I am wondering should I buy the Rokinon 12mm f2 or the Fuji 10-24 f4. The main concern is getting the best result with the right lens. Hope to hear from you guys real soon....might be off picking up a used Rokinon 12mm f2 lens tomorrow. Thanks.

I'd say for the northern lights, you might want the faster aperture.  However, I think the same could be done with the 10-24 as well (might have the increase your ISO to keep the shutter speed within acceptable range).  I know many astro photographers would probably opt for the faster lens since you can't AF anyway.  But if you plan on using the wide angle for more than just astro, I'd say get the 10-24 and maybe a used Rokinon for when you're doing astro and get the best of both worlds.  Combined they'd probably cost you about $1100 in the end (if you get a new 10-24 and a used 12mm Rokinon).  If you're on a budget, just get the Rokinon.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
afm
v30
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow